Welcome to my world in Pasir Ris:

Beef Hor Fun In A Western Restaurant

Picture of Beef hor fun taken with my low budget camera phone.


Beef Hor Fun In A Western Restaurant

I tried this Beef noodle / hor fun dish at a western restaurant next to Simei MRT. The western restaurant is called Eatzi Steakhouse and Bistro Restaurant, located inside East Point Shopping Centre. This is a certified halal restaurant that specializes in preparing affordable western dishes.

On this particular visit, I chose to eat their Beef noodle hor fun, as I had stuffed myself silly with fine cuts of cooked meat at several buffets in a row.

Presentation wise, their beef hor fun came in a silver wok-like metallic serving dish with chopsticks and a spoon. The flat noodles or kway teow was coated with a sweet brown soy-sauce-like layer. The hor fun texture was not as soft as the way I preferred. While some will like its fairly chewy bite, I found the noodles unremarkable.

The beef slices came in thick large chunks. Compared to the medium cooked beef done western style, some of these beef slices gave my jaws plenty of exercise. I would suggest they stir fried it more evenly and do it lighter, bordering on medium flame to preserve the softness and taste. I looked for condiments like cut green chilli in vinegar sauce but there was none to improve my appetite.

Nonetheless, because the portion of beef slices was fairly huge, I guess the beef hor fun noodle is priced high at $10 per dish. Yes, there’s cheaper beef hor fun to be had at the local kopitiam for $4 or less. But these usually come with thin, tiny slivers of beef that do not provide sufficient protein or pleasure. While some of you may snort at this price, let’s not forget that you are paying for the ambience and the service of an air-conditioned western restaurant.

Recommendation:Overall score for beef for fun = 6.5 out of 10.

0 comments: