Welcome to my world in Pasir Ris:

Saffron-Laced Basmati Rice


Saffron-laced Basmati Rice

I am a "rice-bin" kind of person. When I eat out at restaurants, I often look for rice to complement my dishes. The yellow (saffron) laced Basmati Rice at Muthu's Curry in Suntec City was chosen as my staple recently.
Presentation-wise, I like the colour and wholeness of the yellow rice grains, without broken bits and bent grains. Spices that are added like the star-anise tend to interfere with chewing if I am not careful about separating them out before spooning into my mouth.

Their basmati rice comes in a slender-shaped grain, coated with North Indian spices. While the texture was firm, the grains tasted too mild for my liking. It would improve a lot if more spices had been used to coat the basmati rice grains.

On top of its mild flavour, the basmati rice was a tad too dry. Perhaps this might have contributed to its disappointing lack of taste.

You could use the gravy from the main dishes to improve the taste of the basmati rice. But then, I could have paid less for plain white-grained rice to do that in the first place.

Recommendation:
Score for Yellow Basmati Rice, Muthu's Curry = 6 out of 10.

0 comments: